What options do I have to access my eBooks on my.bigtimbermedia.com?
There are multiple access options available, each with its own requirements. Not all options are available for every account:
- Basic Access: Entering a username and password to access eBooks.
- IP Authentication: Accessing eBooks from within an approved IP address that has been associated with the users account.
- Referring URL: Accessing eBooks from within an approved URL address that has been associated with the user’s account.
- Token ID URLs: Accessing eBooks using authenticated URLs that have been used in the creation of the book’s MARC record.
- Authenticated link: A link that can be added to your desired web page that directly accesses your my.bigtimbermedia.com account home page.
Is there a way for my students / patrons to bypass the login screen?
Yes, we offer the following authentication options for qualifying customers:
IP authentication: If we add your school’s IP address or range to your account, students who access your Big Timber Media library from the school building will automatically be logged in and will not have to enter a username and password. This is a great option for schools that have eBook links available online, but not on a password-protected site.
- IP authentication is not an access option for schools in districts that use a shared public IP address. If you are unsure, please consult your technical staff.
- IP authentication does not work remotely (from home).
Referring URL authentication: If your school has a secure password-protected website, we can put the URL of your site on our list of approved URLs. Any time a student clicks on a Big Timber Media hosted link from your site, regardless of whether they are at school or at home, they will be automatically logged in.
- The referring URL must be a password-protected site that is accessible only by those who have the rights to view your eBooks. Our books are generally sold as a site-license and cannot be accessed by other schools in your district.
Token ID URLs: Many of our publishers offer links to their eBooks that are embedded with a token that is unique to a school’s account. This allows for links directly to eBooks in MARC records without logging in.
If you are interested in one of these options, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are the hosted eBooks accessible offline?
Several of our publishers offer a download feature where the user can download a copy of the eBook as a PDF to be saved to their computer or device. An internet connection is not required to read a downloaded PDF file. However, the downloaded eBook will be formatted differently as it is no longer a “flip” style eBook and therefore will have different navigation and features.
I am unable to find / open my downloaded PDF?
If you are unable to find or open your downloaded PDF file:
Make sure you have the necessary software on your computer or mobile device:
Desktop Computer … Adobe Reader is required to open a PDF file.
Mobile Device … Ensure that your operating system is up to date.
Check the location where downloads are saved:
Desktop Computer … Go to your Downloads folder
Mobile Device … Open PDF files from the reading app on your device (ie. iBooks)